With the start of the New Year, thoughts naturally turn to change. If one of your New Year’s Resolutions is to sell your home, then making the right resolutions can help you sell your home quickly and for the best possible return. Here are the top 7 New Year’s Resolutions for Home Sellers:
1. Move Up Spring Cleaning – The time to do your spring cleaning is now. Declutter, depersonalize and make the home look roomier. Don’t forget your closets. Closets that are bursting at the seams with stuff scream to buyers that you do not have enough room for storage.
photo credit: Whiskey Riff
2. Stage Your Home – Whether you hire someone or do it yourself, this is the time to rearrange your furniture to make your rooms look bigger and brighter. A well-staged home spends less time on the market and can even help you walk away with more money.
Photo credit: therealestatecoconut.com
3. Think it Through – Before you spend money on renovations and upgrades, think carefully and don’t overspend by guessing. Seek advice as needed.
4. Take Care of Neglected Repairs – This is a great time to hire a handyman or break out the tool belt to take care of deferred maintenance and take care of minor repairs. By taking care of them now, you can save yourself money because once there is a home inspection all repairs might be required to be done by a licensed professional, so if there are things you can take care of yourself, now is the time to do it.
5. Interview Real Estate Agents – Hiring a real estate agent is critical to your success. Take the time to interview a number of agents and choose the right one for YOUR needs.
6. Check out the Competition – Go see homes listed for sale in your area and adjust your timing, staging, and pricing based on the market.
7. Prepare Mentally – Selling a home can be stressful. Be prepared for low offers, picky buyers, drop-by agents and odd terms that may arise. Prepare yourself now so you will take them in stride when you’re on the market. Your real estate agent should be able to help prepare you for what to expect during the selling process and beyond.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.